Dear BBC,
I am currently writing this letter of complaint about David Starkey and his crude comments about the riots. The comment David Starkey made “the whites have become blacks” obviously specifying that black gangster culture has influenced the riots. He then selfishly and obliviously started to back his argument by mentioning in other words, how if someone was to only listen to David Lammy, they’d think he’s white. So he’s basically trying to suggest that only white people talk in such a respectable manner.
Throughout the whole interview he kept targeting a specific culture. I’m disappointed, and I find it very cheap that a historian could make such baseless, sweeping comments. Violence has been shown time in and time again throughout the past, much worse than the violence that was involved in the riots. As a historian, he should be clever enough to know that it’s a matter of humanity and not a particular race or culture.
I am very unhappy and outraged, even though I’m not from that particular race; I certainly took offence as many of the other viewers did. I believe that it breaks the rules and regulations, as the BBC state the following:
Output controllers and programme or content producers should ensure that strong language, especially the strongest language, is subject to careful consideration and appropriate referral, to ensure it is editorially justified, before it is included in our output. Context and tone are key to determining whether strong language will be acceptable or deemed unjustifiably offensive. We should consider the following:
- What language was used, who used it, to whom it was directed and why it was said
- How it was said. Was the tone angry or aggressive, or charming and funny? The same terms can be considered more or less offensive depending on the tone of the delivery and the character or personality who uses the terms
- Where the content is to be found in the television and radio schedules or online
- The quality of challenging material, which includes strong language, is a significant factor in determining its acceptability or unacceptability to audiences. Strong language can be acceptable when authentic or used for clear purpose or effect within a programme, but audiences dislike careless use which has no editorial purpose.
No comments:
Post a Comment