Chris Cunningham is a British producer, film maker, video artist and a photographer. Most of Chris's work includes science fiction or horror themes. Chris has directed and produced many music videos, and also starred on his own video called "Windowlicker". The ten minute long video pokes fun at the contents of rap videos back in 1999. I find Chris a very controversial especially in his music video "Rubber Johnny". In my opinion, I think he has a weird creative mind (some would say disturbed). He's not afraid to be different and create what he wants to create, even though some people might be unprepared and not understand his logic behind his work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBS4Gi1y_nc
Bill Viola
Bill Viola is a contemporary video artist. His work mainly focuses on human experiences such as birth, death and aspects of consciousness. I've previously watched one of his videos called Anthem, to have an in sight of the type of videos he produces. I must say, it was weird. I also seemed to have found it thought provoking as I tired to make sense of it and understand the meaning behind it. I think his work is controversial. His work does contain nudity and some people may be sensitive to this. Some won't, some people may see his work in a way where he's only trying to demonstrate his life experience in a way which is different.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kFP_dCQ9AQ
Paul McCarthy
Paul McCarthy to me is an interesting one. Considering all the installation artists I've researched, I feel like I haven't come across anyone quiet like him. Based on the video I watched, which is called Painter, he seemed to illustrate his thoughts through painting or using paint. It's controversial in the way he is acting crazy one could say. The way he talks to him self and acts really bizarre makes me think whether or not he is like that in real life or if it's just an act. Personally I don't get the logic behind it at all. I guess it's just interesting to see the way he is expressing his thoughts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fw4gYWkXgo
Overall, I think that all the three of the installation 'nasties' have one major thing in common. They are not afraid to explore their own ways of illustrating their thoughts, opinions and ideas. They are all different in terms of how they present themselves.
No comments:
Post a Comment